Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Thet110- AKA Intro to Theatre

3:31 Coming to everyone live from College Park Maryland, room 0226 Patterson Hall. After sitting through 3 boring Thet110 classes me and my partner have decided to spice things up by shamelessly copying the Sports Chap’s Running Diary concept. This is for our sanity as much as your enjoyment.

3:33- Having a computer in a class with more then 50 kids makes me feel like Ricky Williams holding a bong or Isaiah Thomas running a basketball team, nothing good is coming out of it.

3:34- I should take the time to explain that not only is this class taught at a High School level but also with High School rules. Anyone caught with a cell phone out earns an automatic ejection. Caught surfing the web earns you a warning, a second time and your thrown out of the game. The 5 TA’s patrol the class of roughly 120 kids while the professor lectures.

3:40- The professor kicks off lecture with an illuminating guide, entitled “How to read a play.” Her first bulletin point- “READ THE TITLE.” PURE GENIOUS I never would have started there. I know what your thinking and no my teacher is not Troy Aikman.

3:51- Starting to think they should rename this class Theatre for the cast of Jersey Shore.

4:00- Half-hour in and thank god were explaining the word plot, people were extremely confused.

4:03- I’m pretty sure that they plucked the teachers from this class right off the woman’s rugby team.

4:07- Waiting for Ma’vonte to raise his hand, he really knows how to get things going.

4:12- Apparently to be a Theatre teacher it’s a rule that you have to hate movies, it also wouldn’t hurt if you looked like Hilary Swank circa Boys Don’t Cry.

4:13- One of the rare times that I was just scanning the class for hot girls and thought “I would not be at all surprised if the TA behind me is doing the same thing.” It is the first time that the TA in question was a female.

4:22- Somewhere around the 50th time I’ve heard Teach use the word dramaturge it started sounding a lot like “douche.”

4:23- Of all the things that happen during a given lecture, nothing causes mass confusion like a foul smelling fart. Every guy/fat girl immediately starts glancing around the section searching for someone to blame it on. Normally I’d join them but seeing as I was the guy who let it fly today I’m just going to ignore the smell and try looking innocent.

4:25- The under rated part of class thus far, our Teach has misspelled playwriting (she went with playwrighting) about 20-25 times and she’s still going.

4:30- With the class room at upwards of 80 degrees (it’s the only way Leon likes it) Teach has decided the move is to dim the lights. Vegas has the over under for kids falling asleep at 32.5, I’m taking the over.

4:37- Fun fact #143 when adapting plays written in other languages make sure to take it into account when reading the play. At this point I’m starting to question my existence, why are people so hell bent on attending College if most of what we learn means nothing or is extremely obvious? Waiting For Godot is making more sense then ever before.

4:39 First time I’ve heard a teacher describe a play as, “A sexy Greek comedy” roughly half the class just tried to Wikipedia it (Lysistrata for any curious folk out there)

4:42 Class comes to a jarring end, and a promise to continue with the sexy Greek comedy next week. (apologies to Ebony, your story will have to be postponed till a later date)

No comments:

Post a Comment